Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Mom's new nursing home

Every day when I go to visit mama in this new nursing home it gets worse & worse. Today I went to visit & she was a little better (a little more alert) than yesterday which indicates that the new breathing treatments are working well & not knocking her out as much. So I go & get dad bring him back to see her when I notice that she has a new patch behind her right ear. It looks familiar like the scopolamine patch she had once at the hospital that made her quite sick. The scopolamine is on her allergy list. They are never supposed to give it to her. So I walk down the hall & ask the nurse "What is the patch behind her ear?" She looks up mom's med list and says "There is no medication on her list that is a patch. It must not have been put on by us. Well she has been there since Thursday last week & if she hadn't been cleaned by then & the patch removed that's pretty sad. I had also been checking behind her ears everyday & I do mean EVERYDAY.
It wasn't there last night. So I told her that I checked her ear
last night & it wasn't there. How does the patch get on her if there are no orders for it & it isn't in her med list? And she says "Well I don't know because I didn't apply it" That's it. Just not my problem because I didn't apply it. No ideas of who I should take it up with. Nothing. So I said I am going down & removing it since it is prolly the one she's allergic to & there are no orders for it. Ok? She said sure. What else could she say? So I am walking around with the d*** thing on the end of my finger like an idiot not thinking of what it might do to me when she suggests I do something else with it. I put it on a paper towel intending to drive to every pharmacy, even an ER to ask if someone can identify what has been on my mom. I had to drive dad back to his nursing home & when I got there I asked his nurse if she knew what it looked like & she said scopolamine. The Fentanyl patch for pain is usually whiter & the nico???? patch is larger. This she said was the one from the allergic med list from the hospital. All I know is no wonder she hasn't been acting right since she got there. God knows what else they have been administering w/o MD orders?
I have been trying & trying to get her in another nursing home with no success so basically this place is going to be allowed to harm her. I am not finding many options.

No comments:

Post a Comment