Friday, January 25, 2013

Shut the closet doors

Dad has adopted a strange habit as his alzheimer's has advanced. In his nursing home room every closet door has to be completely closed (not even an inch open or ajar). The problem is if he forgets to close it himself before he gets in bed he orders me to close the slightly open closet door before I leave. He does not ask - he goes "Hey close the closet doors" Well in the last place if the sliding door was open a half an inch He would order me so I would just do it even if it was a crack. Tonight he was in bed & said hey close the door there & I said no you can handle that & I don't work at the nursing home. On my way down the hall I could hear him say - So you are going to make me get out of bed to do that? It struck me funny. No one was making him do anything. Why not just leave the closet doors ajar? He can either get up & close them or leave them ajar. I don't remember him being this OCD or persnickity? I have always wondered though if he is just used to barking orders at the staff & having them followed. He can always close them before getting in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment