Friday, January 25, 2013

Singing to an Alzheimer's Patient

Singing to my mom at the hospital or nursing home does calm her a great deal. I will have to learn some new songs though because there aren't enough of them that I remember the words to. I am still singing Christmas songs. She does like the 12 days of Christmas. Good for my memory too.
 
Mae was such a special lady. Couldn't have been more than 90 pounds soaking wet. She reminded me so much of my great aunt Faye. Mae was such a nervous little thing-always worried about what she should do or where she should go. As her disease progresses she was moved to our secured Memory care neighborhood. She became more frightened and really struggled every day. We would often sit on the sofa together and I would put my arm around her shoulders. Often I would sing softly to her as she put her head on my shoulder and drifted off to sleep. I think this was the only time her soul found peace. I don't know what horrible things had happened in her past that caused such torment in her life at this point, but it filled my heart to know that she was comforted by our time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment